Saw Dr. rosen today, a cardiologist, who will do the catherization on Feb. 5th providing the endodontist gives me the OK on Monday. 2/2. The catherization will tell if a by-pass and/or a stent are also needed. I will come home the same day providing no complications. If needed the surgeon will also fix those at the time of surgery. I am definitely going to Morristown Memorial . I am guessing it will be the week of Feb. 8th. That's all the news for now -- hugs to each of you. Love, MOm, GMa
Just returned from the endodontist. He thinks my problem is "occlusion" and too much pressure on the sore tooth. He does not think I will need either a root canal job or extraction. WHEW!!!I am to stop the penicilin. the infection has cleared up. He examined and filed down high points on other teeth and I am to return in 7 days. Actually I had a similar problem last August. He was very encouraging and knowledgeable I felt. Saw the Cardiologist, richard Watson, this AM (Ave did all the chauffering). Had a carotid artery ultra sound also. Will have a pulmonary test on Thursday to check my lungs at Morristown memorial. After Monday we can make more decisions. Dr. Watson explained to Ave and myself the dangers of the surgery, age being a big factor and my iffy condition of the vascular system in general. I have a stent and had the left carotid artery cleaned out 5 years ago. The catherization (not scheduled yet) will also show if there is any other blockage. He also agrees with Florida MD's that it needs to be done, not tomorrow, but soon. am very happy to be here in NJ even with the cold. The "committee" here is wonderfully helpful and caring. Will keep you posted. So far so good .
I just got off the phone with ave and liz. They had just come from the cardiologist and were en route to the endodentist. The cardi wants to do the surgery in the next week or two and it will depend on what the endo says about the tooth infection. The big news is that liz, gma, mommie (justin-oh, oh) ms. noll will be having the surgery in morristown memorial hospital as opposed to the newark hospital (beth sinai isreal mont hollyhock or something like that). That decision was taken for multiple reasons, one being the fact that they do the most open heart surgeries in NJ, another being the highly rated aftercare reputation of Mo-town. Liz... feels good and is ready to do what needs to be done. She is happy to have the COMMITEE in place in NJ, and she gives a shout out to all who have joined in making her latest experience as stress free as possible. Like all operations, this one is not without risks, the main one being her age. Though the doctor said she is in general good health (tooth not withstanding) and they are optimistic for the outcome. Without the operation the outcome is definite, hence the operation. Thanks for the prayers, positive thoughts and letters of good wishes. Keep them coming.
There is an infected tooth which is slightly in the way of progress. The endodontist will look at that on Monday and from there decisions will be made about when the heart valve surgery can take place.
I talked to Ave this morning and she is in Florida with Uncle Frank and Liz. Liz and Ave are getting on a plane this morning and heading to NJ on Continental flight 477.
Liz is super glad to have an escort for this journey home and all of us siblings are super grateful that Ave could get down there so quickly to be the one to do the escorting.
Good Idea Bern, that picture looks like its from the rain forest everything is so green. As I said in the email, I can come up the day of the surgery or the day after. I can also swing up there after work some nights to make some dinner or do some dusting.
This is a good idea Bern. Perhaps as soon as we get the information about when the surgery will take place we can start compiling a schedule of who can be there when. Ave, Gay - do you think it is necessary for someone to be there with her before the surgery? Maybe we won't know the answer to this until you get home and see how she is feeling. I could come home and go to appointments with her if there isn't too much of a gap between the planning and the surgery. I would like to be there for that and stay in the hospital with her, even though I have forgotten most of what I know! I'll do my research and brush up!
I thought perhaps it would be nice to have a place to put all the info and ideas. And also a place to send people for information instead of us trying to contact everyone - instead they can come to the blog when they want an update. What do you think? The address is www.liznoll.blogspot.com All of you siblings, plus Uncle Frank, are invited to write posts.
Liz was released from the hospital in Fort Myers on Tuesday 1/20. Ave is flying down to Florida tomorrow from NJ and will fly back on Friday afternoon with Liz who was released from the hospital in Fort Myers on Tuesday. The full body catheter will be put in in NJ before the valve surgery can take place. More details on the surgery after that procedure.
R. McBride, MD, Surgical Director of Lung Transplant, comes to Newark Beth Israel Medical Center from the Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, FL, where he served as Director of Heart Transplantation. Prior to that, Dr. McBride served as Director of Lung Transplantation and Director of Mechanical Circulatory Support at St. Louis University School of Medicine in Missouri. A renowned surgeon, Dr. McBride is board certified in Surgery and Thoracic Surgery and has been the principle investigator or coinvestigator on many clinical research trials. He is the published author of nearly 100 articles and abstracts and has been a guest reviewer for the Annals of Thoracic Surgery and the American Society for Artificial Internal Organs Journal. He is a featured lecturer nationally and internationally.
Dr. McBride received his medical degree from St. Louis University School of Medicine. He completed a residency in Surgery and Fellowships in Cardiothoracic Research and Cardiothoracic Surgery at St. Louis University Hospital.ride