Finally, a date. Liz will go into the hospital on March 9th. Minimally invasive aortic valve replacement surgery is scheduled for Liz on March 10 at Morristown Memorial Hospital in New Jersey. She'll be in the hospital for 5-7 days. The hospital has recently been renovated and the heart wing is completely state of the art - beautiful, spacious and scientific. Form meeting function.
Dr. John Muir Brown will be performing the surgery - met him today for the first time and really liked him. His demeanor was accessible and knowledgeable and friendly. Plus, he's from a big family. Bonus.
So, there is relief in having a date set. And relief in the liking of the doctor. And relief in the state of the art hospital.
And I know relief for all of you to receive another blog post!!!
Pardon the delay. This came a couple of days ago from Liz...
I saw the cardiologist today for a follow up after the catheretization and a review of the next step. the procedure last Thursday was fine, no problems, and the point of entry in the groin is healed. The Cardiac surgeon is next. I will call him tomorrow and make an appointment for a consultation.
Dr. Watson said I definitely need the Aortic valve replaced and the window of opportunity is NOW. there are things against me but they will become worse with age so now is the time....... First of all, my age is a source of concern; my lung function is not excellent and the carotid arteries are 50% clogged - but not enough to treat them now. He feels that in spite of this I should do fine. He will arrange for in-patient REhab afterward at my request. So it is on to the next. I will admit I am worried but feel it is necessary to do. A Hug to each of you , Mom, GMa
p.s. dinner out this evening with Jan and Charles at Charlie Brown's down the street. p.p.s. The car was picked up in Florida and will be delivered Monday or Tuesday for less than it would have cost to fly someone down and have them drive up - significantly less.
Liz is relieved that the arteries were clean. Hooray for no by-pass surgery. The valve replacement surgery is now not such an emergency and will probably take place in the next couple of weeks. Around the 22nd or so. Alma will be flying home for that as she is still our go-to medical person in the immediate family though she will denied it if asked. But since she's forgotten less than the rest of us ever knew, that puts her in the number one seat. Way to go Alma!! Plus, she can always call Rita and Liz if she has any questions.
More as it comes.
xo Bernadette Noll coming to you live from Austin, TX
Was the catheterization and it went well. As I type Liz is still in recovery but should be heading home in the next couple of hours. (5:30 E.T.) The arteries look good and the surgery is slated for next week but no exact date yet. Stay tuned folks.
Also, we would love it if you would leave a comment. It'd be fun to see who's here reading. I know it was a pain to post a comment before but I believe I've since fixed that problem.
Liz had a discussion with Rita Rienzo regarding the different valves and it seems the recommendation is either the pig valve or the cow. (Not the lion valve as Kenny recommended which would make her Lizzy, the lion hearted) Both of those have a 20-25 year lifespan and would not require the daily taking of a blood thinner - which can prove to be a real pain in the neck. Ultimately though the decision will be the doctor's so time will tell.
Our pastor, Father Martin, has just left. He came this morning at my request to give me the Sacrament of the Sick before my surgery. I know it can be healing as well as spiritually beneficial and I found it very comforting. we had a nice visit. He is very gracious and kind. so I feel I am off to a good start.
Please don't anyone say anything to Loretta about my surgery. I am not telling her anything until it is all over! I told her I came north for a bad tooth and I needed my own dentist. After the Catheterization I will say I have to go in for some testing And then When I am rehabbing her staff will bring her to visit me. I talked to her staff Manager and this what we agreed to do. If Loretta knows beforehand she will be worried and therefore get out of hand and be like a crazy person. If I don't make it through then its your problem!! If
MONDAY 2/2/09----- Today was busy...blood work , then a lung function test and this afternoon a visit to the Endodontist. He has released me and has given permission for "full steam ahead" on the surgery.Thursday is the catheterization and the rest will follow. the big decision now, I guess, is pig valve, bovine valve or artificial valve?